Monday, November 15, 2010

The Birth of Confessions of Dos Gordas

 My name is Gordita Blanca. I’m 28. And I’m a foodaholic.

 I used to think I’d struggled with weight my entire life, but when I look back at pictures from the times I thought I was fat, I realize that I was always a pretty healthy size and weight. It was more of a mind struggle than anything.  I’ve actually only struggled with my weight for about the past five years. After I had my daughter, now 6, I haven’t fit into a pair of jeans comfortably. I’ve dieted and exercised, but have never maintained a healthy, consistent balance. I get burnt out easily, and get too busy, and blah blah blah. Fact is...

I LOVE FOOD. 

I love to cook! I love to eat. I love trying new food or enjoying a juicy burger topped with cheese, guacamole, and sautéed mushrooms. I can’t get away from it. It follows me. I’m a foodaholic, and I'm tired of being fat. 

~

My name is Laurita la Gordita. I’m 29. And I’m a foodaholic. 

I’m about to enter the exciting, life-long journey of marriage and as time approached to dress fittings and lingerie showers I realized that I’m at the largest I’ve ever been, and it was a huge reality check for me.  My weight has been something I’ve struggled with all my life and I had to make a change. I attempted to make the change sooo many times before and struggled with keeping it off and even worse, actually losing it.  

The problem has always been known: I LOVE FOOD.

I love everything from sushi to Cajun to Mexican to good ol’ American food. Convenience also played a big part with my love for food which tied to me also unfortunately being a junkfood-junkie. Being a student and planning a wedding has left me little time to cook like I would like and therefore eating pizza, hamburgers, and Chinese takeout.  I want women out there, who are like me, to know you are not alone.  You love food, you have little time, take-out is easier, and losing weight sometimes seems impossible.  I feel your pain girlfriends! But together we can do this!

~

Laurita la Gordita’s wedding is quickly approaching, and, as we both are overweight and unhappy about it, and as we’d like to look good in our dresses, we decided to take up a serious fast. Since last Thursday, November 4, we have been on a strict, low calorie diet. Our food intake consists of a mere 500 calories a day (We do not suggest or endorse this diet. It is very short-term, and intended only to get the initial few pounds off and shrink our stomachs to normal size. It is a spiritual fast of sorts.). We are allotted eight food items a day; two proteins (3 oz each serving), four vegetables, and two fruits. The first few days were pretty much impossible. We struggled. We complained. We ached. We called each other with "SCREW THIS DIET!" and "I CAN'T DO THIS!"

Yet, in one week, we’ve both shed six pounds. 

Whether or not the diet is going to work or the pounds are just water weight or we’re going to gain them right back or the structure is healthy or unhealthy, the effort sparked something in us. 

We are tired of being fat. 

Hence, our brainchild, Confessions of Dos Gordas, was formed. We do not wish to make light of the fact we’re overweight.  Rather, we’re on a mission to accomplish the opposite. We’ve decided to, even after we’re done with our insane “crash course”, eat healthy and form a lasting lifestyle, to develop a healthy relationship with food. 

We accept that we’re fat. But we know that we don’t have to be. 

Step one in Alcoholics Anonymous can be tweaked to fit our situation. And we’ve adopted it. 

1. We admitted we were powerless over food - that our weight had become unmanageable.

We’re powerless over food because no person can live without it. WE certainly cannot live without it. So, we must begin looking for ways to make it work. From this point forward, we’re going to ENJOY food, to make it interesting while finding ways to keep healthy. And we’re going to share our thoughts, our struggles, our victories, and, of course our recipes. We love food. We’re not going to fight it, we’re going to embrace it in all its awesome splendor. 

We will no longer live to eat, but eat to live. And, while we’re at it, we’ll experiment, and cook, and savor, and enjoy the goodness that is food.  We will change our lifestyles, our mindsets, our relationship with our addiction. 

We look forward to this journey, and are especially excited to share it with each other and anyone else who wants on board. We are going to be different women someday soon. Though we’ll have more energy and vibrancy, there will, no doubt, be less of us. 

We’re partners in this life change, til death do us part. Join us on our journey!

Eat well, live well!
Love,
Laurita la Gordita and Gordita Blanca

4 comments:

  1. I cringe at the thought of you eating 500 calories a day and pray that you don't faint while you are driving down the road and cause a giant wreck, but I'm glad that you are both inspired to begin a healthy journey with food. You're both beautiful inside and out - but I know it will feel a lot better to love the way you look in your jeans!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 500 cal thing is a fast. We both needed a spiritual fast of sorts to get this thing kicked off. I've spent much time in prayer over the last week, asking my homie Jesus to help me beat my food struggle. Only four days to go. :) ~ Gordita Blanca

    ReplyDelete
  3. 500 Calories? Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang.
    Praying for a healthy weight loss.
    Pssst, I would like to remove 10 pounds from my person as well.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete